week's theme is cats. The kind we keep in our homes or domestic cats.
loves a warm fuzzy kitty to cuddle up next to. So this week we will look
at the world of cats!
cat is any member of the family Felidae and are mammals. They have live babies that drink their mother's milk. They are furry and
are warm blooded. They are mammals.
- (Art, Science,
Research the different breeds of cats. Make a book or poster
describing them. Here is a super site with breed pictures an profiles! Use the Cat Clipart here for your poster.
and diagram the skeleton of a cat. A kind is very similar to humans
in bone structure.
Why were cats important to the Egyptians? Find out why.
Make some Kitty
- (Reading, Art)
Read the story Puss in Boots, then make your
- ( Art) Make a cool cat
- (Science, Research, Language
Arts) Do a research sheet on a particular breed of cat. I
Science, Pet Care) Learn how to groom
Demonstrate that you know how to someone else
- (Art, Fun) Learn to make the Cat's
Cradle with string!
- (Language Arts) Read the Cat in the Hat or another book about
cats. Write a story of your own featuring the main character.
- (Art) Make a Cat Lantern to hang outside.
- (Language Arts, Communication Skills)Write a letter to to the
author of your favorite cat book telling him or her what you like
about the book. Use the Cat
- (Language Arts, Handwriting) Read
some Nursery Rhymes about cats
then copy them in your best handwriting. You can use the sheets to
- (Art, Science) Make you own Kitty
& Coloring Pages:
are many, many books out there on Cats. Check your local library for
more. Here are some to get you started.
- Only the Cat Saw by Ashley Wolff
- Millions of Cats by Wanda Gag
- Oscar, Cat About Town by James Herriot
- Four Fierce Kittens (very young)
- Millions of Cats, Wanda Gag
- The 300 Pound Cat by Rosamund Dauer
- Miranda the Great, by Eleanor Estes (Gr. 3-10)
- Pinky Pye, by Eleanor Estes (Gr. 3-8)
- Catfish, by Edith Thacher Hurd (Gr. 1-3)
- Lysbet and the Fire Kittens (Gr. 1-4)
- The Little Kitten, by Judy Dunn (Gr. K-2)
- Dick Whittington and His Cat, by Marcia Brown (Gr. 1-4)
- Incredible Journey, by Sheila Burnford (Gr. 3-12)
- The Prodigal Cat, by Janette Oke (Gr. 3-8)
- Have You Seen My Cat? by Eric Carle (Gr. K-2)
- The Last Little Cat, by Meindert de Jong (Gr. 2-5)
- The Fire Cat, by Esther Averill (Gr. K-2)
- High-Wire Henry, by Mary Calhoun, and others in series (Gr. K-3)
- Moses the Kitten
- The Christmas Day Kitten
- Oscar, Cat-About-Town
- So Many Cats, by Beatrice Schenk de Regniers.
- The Cat Who Could series (older teens /adults delightful mystery
series)Lilian Jackson Braun
- The Cat Who Came for Christmas, The Cat and the Curmudgeon, and
The Best Cat Ever by
- The Cat Family, by Dorothy Hogner Childs
- Cats, by Wilfrid Bronson
- Album of Cats, by Gladys Bond