Helping with all your homeschool
& educational needs.
Treasures is your place for great teaching resources.
My Other Sites
Cooking with Kids
Practical Parenting Today
Fun - Rivers of the World
Have you ever wondered which river was the longest? How the biggest ones
compare? Well here is a chart that can be used for many geography projects.
The river’s name, continent found on and then size in miles long.
- NILE AFRICA 4,132
- AMAZON SOUTH AMERICA 3,900
- MISSISSIPPI NORTH AMERICA 3,860
- OBITSU-IRTYSH ASIA 3,461
- YANGTZE KIANGO ASIA 3,430
- HWANG HO ASIA 2,903
- CONGO AFRICA 2,900
- AMUR ASIA 2,802
- MISSOURI NORTH AMERICA 2,683
- LENA ASIA 2,653
- MacKENZIE NORTH AMERICA 2,635
- MEKONG ASIA 2,600
- NIGER AFRICA 2,590
- VENISEY ASIA 2,566
- PARANA SOUTH AMERICA 2,450
- PLATA SOUTH AMERICA 2,300
- VOLGA EUROPE 2,293
- MADEIRA SOUTH AMERICA 2,060
- INDUS ASIA 1,980
- PURUS SOUTH AMERICA 1,900
- ST.LAWRENCE NORTH AMERICA 1,900
- RIO GRANDE NORTH AMERICA 1,885
- BRAHMAPUTRA ASIA 1,800
- ORINOCO SOUTH AMERICA 1,800
- SAO FRANCISCO SOUTH AMERICA 1,800
- YUKON NORTH AMERICA 1,800
- DANUBE EUROPE 1,770
- DARLING AUSTRALIA 1,750
- SALWEEN AUSIA 1,730
Here are some ideas to use to go with this list.
- First mark the continents on a world map or use individual continent OR
- Mark each river on the map it belongs in.
- Label the countries or states that the rivers run through.
- Label any major cities along the rivers.
- Put the rivers in alphabetical order.
- Make a miniature book about each rivers or notebook page. Find out
something interesting about each one. What wildlife lives near it? Any
specific fish or water life live in it? What plants grow there? What people
live around it?
- What lake or ocean does it feed from or empty in to.
- On your notebook page put things like when it was discovered and by whom.
- Are there any famous events connected with it?
- Make a salt dough map of one of them.
- Make a graph of the countries or continents involved. Show which ones have
the most lakes.